Words To Live By...#2





'Ode to Clothes' by Pablo Neruda is one of my fave poems. I discovered Neruda and his works while doing my Masters course. The first time I read this poem was when a friend gifted me a wall hanging with the poem printed. He said the poem reminded him of me. Upon reading it, I instantly connected with Neruda's words. The poem beautifully captures the emotions and mind set of every fashion lover. The oneness we feel with our clothes. While a lot of people see fashion as a frivolous profession and clothes as just bare necessity, we the denizen of the fashion world have a much more spiritual relationship with them. 


What I love about this poem is how Neruda has personified clothes into more than mere objects. For him, they are an integral part of his life, they are like a friend, a lover and in many ways an extension of himself.



[Image via Geek In The Pink]



I have always though of this poem as an anthem for every fashion blogger. Read on and let me know if you agree with me.



Ode to Clothes


Every morning you wait,


clothes, over a chair,


to fill yourself with


my vanity, my love,


my hope, my body.


Barely


risen from sleep,


I relinquish the water,


enter your sleeves,


my legs look for


the hollows of your legs,


and so embraced


by your indefatigable faithfulness


I rise, to tread the grass,


enter poetry,


consider through the windows,


the things,


the men, the women,


the deeds and the fights


go on forming me,


go on making me face things


working my hands,


opening my eyes,


using my mouth,


and so,


clothes,


I too go forming you,


extending your elbows,


snapping your threads,


and so your life expands


in the image of my life.


In the wind


you billow and snap


as if you were my soul,


at bad times


you cling


to my bones,


vacant, for the night,


darkness, sleep


populate with their phantoms


your wings and mine.


I wonder


if one day


a bullet


from the enemy


will leave you stained with my blood


and then


you will die with me


or one day


not quite


so dramatic


but simple,


you will fall ill,


clothes,


with me,


grow old


with me, with my body


and joined


we will enter


the earth.


Because of this


each day


I greet you


with reverence and then


you embrace me and I forget you,


because we are one


and we will go on


facing the wind, in the night,


the streets or the fight,


a single body,


one day, one day, some day, still.

Do you have a fave poem or a piece of literature that you connect with? Share them with me in the comment section.




Till then, tra-la,

 
Amena!!




 Connect With Fashionopolis on FacebookTwitterPinterest, Bloglovin' & Subscribe
email me- 
a.fashionopolis@gmail.com


0 comments:

Post a Comment